Sunday Desert

Sunday lunch is a great favorite of ours! We have some friends who come to the farm for lunch and play cards, its always a lovely afternoon. Last Sunday was no different except that I thought I would would give a glimpse of our desert, which I stole from the current edition of Better Homes and Gardens. It’s a baked pear with ice cream and chocolate sauce, the pear is wrapped in puff pastry and the sauce is a type of ganache. I changed the recipe slightly in that I poached the pear in a white wine and herb liqueur and served the sauce hot so it melted the ice cream. Great success and very pleased with the result but a big desert. As it’s not a recipe of mine you can find it in the August issue of Better Homes and Gardens, enjoy! Facebook Twitter Google+...

Painting the Room

Once the plastering was done we really got into the painting and there was a lot to do. First we prepped the walls with a sealer, prep undercoat for interiors and exteriors. I have used this treatment before and it does a great job so everything had to be covered as there was so much new plaster that it is almost a new build. Then the ceilings was painted in British paints and the walls in Dulux USA Chalk and Self Destruct. Once done it looked great but then on closer inspection we found a problem on the ceiling. Bubbling was occurring under the paint and so had to be scraped back and re skimmed. The bubbling was a real concern and we had to find the cause and eventually we found a moisture leak in the upstairs en suite. There are another three bedrooms upstairs including the master so it took time to figure out where the moisture was coming from.This house is vast and you have to expect these problems, just showing its sign of age but nothing major. What we are going to do is not repaint this section till the shower is treated with a tile sealer. That bathroom upstairs isn’t being renovated till next year so this short term solution should do the trick. So onto the flooring! Facebook Twitter Google+...

Laying the Floor

The flooring that we chose for the property is strand bamboo, it’s tough, durable and long wearing. In our last house in Reserve Creek we laid solid wood flooring and I had imagined doing the same in this home but when we started looking the choices and quality have come such a long way I was convinced to loose lay the solid wood and I have to say I’m really thrilled with the result. Initially the carpet was removed from a lot of the rooms when the property fell into private hands and replaced with ceramic tiles which made the rooms echo and look very cold. We started laying the floors in the formal lounge and were so happy with the result then the first rental room and now the second king room. The process is amazingly straight forward, making sure you allow for expansion and contraction of the wood. The planks are heavy and solid with a type of interlock tongue and groove system so once you get in the groove it goes down easily. Once finished we will be onto finishing the trims.   Facebook Twitter Google+...

Second Room

We are continuing to renovate Stokers and the big job at hand is the second room for rent. The job seems initially easy but as you get into it it is long, hard work and rather drawn out because of thought and consideration you have to put in to the design. With this particular room the big issues are making it wheelchair and disable friendly especially the bathroom. It was originally one large room that has good access and faces west so we have decided to divide the room into a lounge/bed area, walk in robe and separate wet room/bathroom. The other big issue was sound proofing as this house is vast and this particular room sits under the master bedroom plus it sits besides the first rental room on the ground floor. We had to strip the walls and insulate then reseal the walls with gyprock. All up a big job but we are happy so far with the result. I will post the wet room as a separate blog and the flooring as well. We didn’t get our website up and running before the other rooms were laid with timber flooring but the results are fantastic and I,m sure you can see some of the flooring already in our other photos. When finished the room will be a king bed room with walk in robe and wet room bathroom. It will hopefully be up there with a 5 star rating, the only hitch is there is now bath and we make no apology as we are water wise. Whilst they are luxurious they are not water friendly...

The Fountain

A few days ago I posted that the fountain at the front of the property had to be restored to it’s former glory. It is featured in the main picture and we thought that rather than remove it or fill it with flowers we would bring it back to the way it was. The task itself wasn’t hard but did take some time as it was filled with dirt and stones. Once emptied we found the old pump buried in the mud and some piping. I washed the fountain out then partially disassembled it to reinstall the pipe up to the two birds at the top. Once this was done I reassembled it with concrete glue and sealed the bottom pond but not the top with pond sealer (3 coats) and let it dry. The new pump I purchased water to 1 20cm and has plenty of power so once in place was ready to fill with water. The power was already installed with outdoor switches so I also purchased an outdoor timer to operated the pump. Once all in place I turned it on and stood back, it was wonderful to see it burst into life. The fountain is about 25 years old we think and have seen reproductions but it seems quite original and ready to run, hopefully for another 25 years. Facebook Twitter Google+...